Sunday, November 28, 2010

Mississippi Mud Cookies

My mama gave me this Southern Living Christmas cookbook last Christmas, and last week I decided to try out this new cookie recipe.

Forewarning: I didn’t use parchment paper because I didn’t have any. It would probably be best to use parchment paper because the cookies, especially the marshmallows, stuck to the pan, and many crumbled when I tried to remove them. Also, the butter I used turned out not to be real butter and instead some form of vegetable oil sticks (something of that nature). The cookies still tasted good, but I have a feeling that’s what made them super crumbly. Also, leave enough time for them to cool on the pan before removing them, or again…they will crumble. “Learn by trial and error”

Prep: 25 min. Bake: 12 min. per batch

1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels

1/2 cup butter, softened

1 cup sugar

2 large eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

1/2 cup milk chocolate morsels

1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. miniature marshmallows

Microwaves semisweet chocolate morsels in small microwave-safe glass bowl at HIGH 1 minute or until smooth, stirring every 30 seconds.

Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Beat in vanilla and melted chocolate.


Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture, beating until well blended. Stir in chopped pecans (optional) and 1/2 cup milk chocolate morsels.


Drop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Press 3 marshmallows into each portion of dough.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks.

(I forgot to take a photo before I put the cookies in a container. Unfortunately I left the crumbled and breaking (bad) cookies on the plate. Haha, so this is the photo I have. I have other ones that looked better…I promise. Remember what I said to avoid the crumbling!)

Yield: about 3 dozen. (I probably made about 2 dozen…depends on the size of your cookies, obvs.)

No comments:

Post a Comment