Tuesday, November 24, 2009

when i grow up, i wanna be famous, i wanna be a star


I am twenty years old. I am already grown up. :O

As I said, I'm graduating in May, and I've been freaking out about how I'm going to survive. But I figured that if I want to act, I should start focusing on my acting career, and hopefully the whole income-to-pay-rent-and-eat-and-live thing will work itself out. I am determined.

First things first: I need some good headshots. No, I need great headshots. An actor's headshot is his/her calling card; it can literally make or break them. If you don't have a great headshot, the chances of you never getting an audition are pretty substantial. I have heard this all too many times. I have seen this happen all too many times at my two internships this past summer, both at the talent agency and casting agency. As I did my daily mail delivering at the talent agency, I would usually find a headshot or two at an assistant's desk that they kept simply to make fun of and to show other coworkers. The only submission I ever saw them keep was from a man looking for a voiceover agent (aka his demo reel got their attention...no headshot needed). One day at the casting agency I sat and watched one of the casting directors go through a stack of 20 or so headshots and literally spend less than half a second looking at each one, throwing all but 2 or 3 away. I tried to keep up with her quick glancing and quick throwing away, but I couldn't see what was so wrong about a lot of them.

So my friend, Josh, who is a photojournalism major, is going to attempt to capture these amazing headshots for me on our fourth attempt? I'm hoping his new portrait lense is magical. These headshots are free in exchange for his practicing and possibly building his portfolio. I can't afford to pay for professional headshots...even though that is what I need and may possibly have to resort to in the worst case scenario. All the photographers the talent agency recommended charge $500 plus. I don't have that kind of money...especially when I'm about to graduate and live completely on my own. But before I blow the $500 (headshots should be retaken annually also, so that's $500 a year...excluding if I change my hair or gain/lose weight), I did just find a photographer who is offering to take free portraits. His/her work looks pretty legit, and though this person may not specialize in headshots, maybe he/she can make something work. I emailed this person as well, so we'll see.

I also looked up several talent agents in Austin. Once I find my perfect headshot, and maybe add a few productions to my resume, I am going to submit, submit, submit. I'm planning on this all to be done when I come back in January. I'm planning on having an agent in the spring before I graduate. Before then, I will continue to check casting calls and send my headshot and resume anywhere and everywhere that may possibly have a role for me. Cross your fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment