Thursday, November 19, 2009

genesis


I think that word refers to the beginning. And this is the beginning of my blogging experience. Okay, I'm lying, I must embarassingly admit that I used Xanga for quite a while. Then I thought facebook "notes" would suffice. But now I'm grown up and sophisticated, and thus my blog should be...right? Anyway, after reading through a former coworker's blog, I became inspired to keep one myself. We'll see if my blog is inspiring enough for anyone to even read.

The next three days, including today, mark the final performances of The Importance of Being Earnest, for which I play the character of Cecily. I am more than grateful to have been cast in this role, but I will still be grateful for the show's run to end. I have been going nonstop this entire semester with class, work, production lab, rehearsals, football games, etc. etc. I need a break, and Christmas break cannot come soon enough. I'm just happy not to have any finals! I am unhappy about having to miss my last UT football game before I graduate...due to our final performance on Saturday. It is a sad day in the life of Sam Wiley. I suppose I should be calling myself Samantha Wiley, since that is my "actress" name, but I just like Sam so much better.

I finally, yes finally, got cast in one of the theatre and dance department's mainstage shows next semester. My auditions every semester have finally paid off. I knew this was my last chance, so I put everything I had into this audition. I made my resume look perfect, I "splurged" on actually getting 8X10 headshots printed, I rehearsed and videotaped myself and watched and rehearsed and videotaped myself and watched and rehearsed and videotaped myself and watched until I was absolutely satisfied with my monologue. Luckily I had been working on a second monologue in my Acting Shakespeare class all semester, so I had a backup that I felt absolutely satisfied with...thank goodness too...because they did in fact ask me to do a second monologue! I was absolutely ecstatic to see my name on the callback lists for all the shows for which I had auditioned. I felt good about my first callback, the second fell flat, and the third I knew I had completely blew. Thankfully, I did get cast for that first show, and thankfully it was the part I felt I would enjoy the most.

Right now I am at work at the Texas Performing Arts center. The phones have been ringing more than I would have liked today. But I can't complain because I get paid to sit at a computer, occasionally answer phones or sell tickets and fill out envelopes...not to mention I get great benefits, such as seeing Broadway shows and commerical acts for free! I graduate in May, and this job will not pay the bills. I am kind of freaking out. Actually, I am really freaking out. I won't have financial aid to pay my rent...I won't have classes to go to...I will be a full fledged adult. I am out of my mind FREAKING OUT.

No comments:

Post a Comment